You must have
- At least five years experience in dog obedience training
- At least two years experience as a full-charge instructor (1)
- Worked with a minimum of 100 dogs
- Group instructors must have taught at least 104 hours (2)
- Private instructors must have taught at least 288 hours (2)
(1) Full-charge instructor means teaching an entire course to all the same students, from the first class to the last class.
(2) Hours you have worked as a full charge instructor teaching dog owners to train their own dogs.
Private applicants must have a minimum of 288 hours instructing and have worked with a minimum of 100 dog/handler teams. All hours for teaching pet manners and/or competition obedience training may be used to calculate eligibility.
If you have Microsoft Excel, you can use our eligibility worksheet to see if you have enough experience to apply for Certified membership.
Provisional Membership is designed for those applicants who have demonstrated sufficient instructing and training skills but who lack the required experience for full Membership. All Provisional Memberships are limited to three years, and all Provisional Members are expected to obtain the required experience in that time so they can upgrade to full Membership.