Join us May 3-5, 2018
in Durham, NC, with
Support · Solve · Share
Conference Site and Accomodations:
- Zoomy Dogs!, 5420 NC-55, Durham, NC 27713 (919) 908-1998 – Workshops and meetings
- LaQuinta Inn & Suites, 1910 Westpark Dr, Durham, NC 27713 (919) 484-1422 – Hospitality Room
The LaQuinta is one mile from ZoomyDogs! We have a block of rooms at $89 per night with no additional charge for dogs. So, bring on the dogs, plural. You will have a choice of a King room or a room with 2 Queen beds. It has a very nice outdoor pool area.
- Comfort Inn Research Triangle Park, 4507 NC 55/Apex Hwy, Durham, NC 27713 (480) 719-7969
The Comfort Inn is very close to LaQuinta, with a rate of $69 plus $10 per night for up to 2 dogs. (Please note that our Hospitality Room will be at the LaQuinta.)
- RV Parks
- North Carolina State Fairgrounds, 801 Youth Center Drive, Raleigh, NC 27606. About 18 minutes from Zoomy Dogs! via I-40.No advance reservations, first-come, first-serve, pets welcome, $30 per 24 hours period.
- Jordan Lake State Recreation Area, 280 State Park Road, Apex, North Carolina 27523 (919) 362-0586, e-mail email@example.com. About 21 minutes from ZoomyDogs! and more rustic.
We are excited about our jam-packed Annual Gathering event May 3-5 in Raleigh-Durham, NC. We have secured Zoomy Dogs! for two days of workshops, presentations and get-togethers. And we also have special events planned for Thursday afternoon. Make sure you don’t miss out on this once a year opportunity to mingle with NADOI members and learn from the best.
John Sparks, the owner of Sparks K9 in Monroe, Washington, is a nationally-recognized dog trainer. He has a background in protection training, pet obedience, large group instruction, aggression rehabilitation, and various dog sports. He is a professional member of the IACP, certified NADOI instructor #1127, and Co-founder of Balanced Bullies Rescue and Rehabilitation.
Kelly Bowers will be presenting topics to help us with our businesses and even the dreaded taxes. Topics included will be Business Head, Doggie Heart: What’s the Balance? and Overview: Can I Deduct That? Kelly is the author of Before You Leap: Six Secrets to Making Your Passion into a Real Business and co-author of Can I Deduct That? In January she released a version of Can I Deduct That? written for our profession and other animal-related businesses. Some of our members participated in her research survey.
The AKC Government Relations Team will be presenting Becoming Effective Canine Legislation Advocates. In the face of increased legislation geared toward regulating the dog training profession, it is critical that we learn how to best present ourselves to local, state and federal officials who are in a position to impact our ability to effectively train dogs.
You don’t have to be a NADOI member to attend our Gathering. Everyone is welcome to join us as we meet in Durham to commemorate NADOI’s 53rd year of advocating for excellence in dog training.
- Thursday – Registration. Afternoon field trip to the Duke University Canine Cognition Center. Followed by dog-friendly “pub and restaurant crawl.”
- Friday – Business presentation by Kelly Bowers. Catered lunch with round table discussions. AKC presentation on effective lobbying. Dinner on your own.
- Saturday – Taste of Durham breakfast. Morning obedience workshop with John Sparks. Catered lunch. Afternoon with John Sparks behavior presentation and workshop. Catered closing dinner.
2018 Gathering Schedule
Thursday, May 3 at LaQuinta Inn & Suites
12 – 1:30 pm – Check in/ Registration.
1:45 pm – Leave for Canine Cognition Center (Transportation provided. No dogs on tour.)
2 – 4 pm – Duke University Canine Cognition Center tour and return to hotel.
5 pm – Leave for dog friendly pub crawl and dog walk in the DIY District. We will make sure that attendees have transportation to the evening event. Some people may want to drive with their dogs for the evening.
Friday, May 4 at Zoomy Dogs!
7:30 – 8:45 am – Registration
8 – 8:30 am – Coffee, tea and snacks (available all day)
8:45 am – Welcome
9 – 12:00 pm – Kelly Bowers – Business Head, Doggie Heart: What’s the Balance? and Overview: Can I Deduct That? (book available)
12 – 1:15 pm – Lunch – sandwiches and salad
1:30 – 4:30 pm – AKC Government Relations Team
Becoming Effective Canine Legislation Advocates
4:45 pm – Wine and cheese, NADOI Annual member meeting
Dinner on your own
Saturday, May 5 at Zoomy Dogs!
7:30 – 8:45 am – Registration
8 – 9 am – “Taste of Durham” Breakfast
Raffle Items set up for the day
9 am – 12 pm – John Sparks Workshop – Power of the Pack
Using group classes, pack walks, & structured socialization to build motivation and confidence at both ends of the leash.
12 – 1:15 pm – Lunch- Pizza and salad
1:30 – 4:30 – John Sparks Workshop – Primal Drives
Using drives for behavior modification with difficult dogs.
6 pm – Banquet – Closing Remarks – Announcement of Next Year’s Location